Useful Information

Here at SafeMove we have expert advisors ready to answer your queries. We are here to support you with your technical questions and if we don’t know the answer we will know somebody who does! Just call our freephone number 08001 385 385.

Below are some frequently asked questions, you may find useful.

For a copy of our website user guide please click the link below.

User Guide

How do I know which Water Company to contact?

SafeMove offers national drainage and water searches for all water companies across England and Wales. Alternatively you could visit a website for all the water companies of England and Wales, where you will find a postcode look-up facility. Full contact details for each water company are available on this site.

To whom should I make my cheque payable?

Non-account customers should make cheques payable to Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.  Your enquiry should then be forwarded to: Safe-Move DX 723020 Bradford 20 or  Safe-Move PO Box 99 Bradford BD3 7YB.

How can I pay?

If you are a monthly account customer, you will be invoiced for your orders at the end of every month. Alternatively you can order via the website and pay by credit or debit card. We also take orders with a cheque in the post. For a copy of our request form please click the links below.

Request Form Mapping

Request Form Residential Searches

Request Form Commercial Searches

Do you show private pipes?

Yorkshire Water display public assets only. All private asset information needs to be obtained from the relevant Local Authority.

Do I have to send a plan with my search request?

We always recommend that you send a plan with every search request, it is essential when the property is a new build or plot. If a plan is not available, grid references are always helpful. The plan does not need to be an Ordnance Survey plan, just a clear plan with the boundary of the property clearly marked.

Can I request a copy of a section 104 agreement through Safe-Move?

Safe-Move cannot provide copies of section 104 agreements. In the first instance we would suggest contacting the developer for a copy of the section 104 agreement, as we are unable to supply copies to third parties without the consent of the developer. If you can provide written confirmation from the developer allowing us to copy the document, our new development team can provide a copy of the agreement. The cost of this service is £60.00 and your application should be made in writing to:

Yorkshire Water
New Development Team
Blackburn Meadows WWTW
Alsing Road
S9 1HX

Please note that we are unable to supply copies of the drawings which form an essential part of the Section 104 Agreement. For further enquires regarding section 104 agreements please contact our New Development department on 0845 1 208482.

How do searches get delivered?

You can have your search back via email or through the post. This is entirely your choice; all you need to do is state your preferred method when ordering. Please note that searches are only sent back using one method; you cannot request sea rches to be sent back both by post and email.  You can order searches in a specialist XML format. For more information please contact Paul Midgley on 01274 692365.

To view our complaints procedure please click the link below.

Complaints Procedure